Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Excitement (and a little danger) in the Hood

I was somewhere between showering and dressing yesterday morning when I heard of ton of sirens and, peering out the window, saw 8 cop cars barrel down Morris Mark Parkway.  Thinking they were all on their way to some sort of emergency call somewhere I else, I thought no more of it.  Until I heard the helicopters circling my neighborhood, so I got curious.

I looked up 'Harlem police pursuit' on google and found an early report of a car crash on 122nd and Lenox Avenue, two blocks away, so I went out and took a look.  I'll show you pictures, but they're not very good.

Turns out the police were responding to a robbery and pursued a suspect, the suspect's car jumped a very large median and plowed into an oncoming car and several pedestrians.  What I saw out my window was the police pursuing some guys, who were running away from the crash on foot into the park across my street.

And then I read this article today in the WSJ:  armed robbery in broad daylight.  An elderly nun killed in the pursuit.  I walk by her convent every day.  And all this two blocks from my house.  So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment