Monday, June 21, 2010

Divine Conspiracy

Yesterday's sermon was on the Blesseds, in particular Blessed are those who mourn.  I remembered that years ago I read Dallas Willard's book The Divine Conspiracy and was floored by what he said regarding the Blesseds/Beatitudes.  So, after hearing what Milind had to say about it on Sunday,  I pulled out TDC to see what Willard had to say.

I had forgotten how powerful this book is.  Opening the book and reading a couple of paragraphs had the effect of a strong spiritual magnet for me this morning-- aligning me to what is important, reminding me of the joy and power of the Kingdom of God, and helping me gently put aside the distractions that keep piling in on me, or perhaps, that I keep piling on myself.

And that these moments keep happening to me, that the right word keeps showing up when I need it, just reminds me of how incredibly kind God is, how near, how loving, how infinite his mercies.

On Sunday I got to read Lamentations 3:19-30 for the church, and in the middle of a very sad passage, there is this beauty:

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "the Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. i love that part of lamentations. it is esp highlighted in mine. :)

    and the headshot is pretty fantastic also- the curl of hair on the far shoulder is a great touch too.

    ReplyDelete