Monday, August 2, 2010

Long Time, No Post

I confess I haven't posted in so long that I feel like scrapping the blog.

What to say?

I'm in rehearsals for Suor Angelica, where I've been given a peach of a role, and I really enjoy singing it, unlike the last role I had, which kind of drove me nuts.  The performance, by the way, went well.  I got through on my ability to act and be comic, however, and not on my singing.  And everyone told me I looked hot (which is hilarious, because the character I was playing was supposed to be old, ugly and mean.  They re-characterized it and just made me over-the-top self important with a hint of snarling contempt.  I'm grateful-- who wants to be old, ugly and mean?  And who knew I could get away with murdering Italian because I'm considered operatic eye candy?)

I had an amazing singing experience yesterday.  We did a musical rehearsal for Suor Angelica and it ends with the entire cast, sans me, singing a huge, loud, exquisitely beautiful Requiem type piece.  Over 40 well trained operatic voices pouring out sound in a smallish room-- it was an incredible sonic overload.  I started giggling half way into it.  Uncontrollable laughter, in my opinion, is an extremely appropriate reaction to being overloaded by beauty. 

I'm learning a lot about focus and practice, but I'm also practicing how to get out of my head and go for it.  I'm also learning how, in the words of my friend LL, in coming to the end of myself and what I can do, to actively die, so that God's strength can be glorified in my weakness.  Vague statement, I know. Still trying to get my head around it.

4 comments:

  1. Please don't scrap the blog-- it's too wonderful to read your posts however occasional they may become!

    So happy to hear that you're enjoying yourself to the point of uncontrollable laughter. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAs praying for you this morning. I have been perusing the airline sales and my calendar to try and figure out when I'd be able to get out there. Want to see you sing!

    And I'm with B. - Pleeeease don't scrap the blog. Me likey very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you dare scrap the blog! I'm going to call you to harangue you about this. Hrmph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! I hear you about getting to the end of your strength so that the Lord can be glorified! Oh, and if you dare put a stop to our connection to the LIFE OF JOANNNNNNNA, then I will have to punish you. (Perhaps sending wild man Dexter to spend the rest of the summer in your tranquil Harlem abode...:) Helping you with your scales and such...)

    ReplyDelete