Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gorges and Prairies

I'm sitting in the Harvest Time Bistro in downtown Wadena, Minnesota, overhearing snippets of intriguing theological conversation while scarfing down a piece of Apple Bread pudding made entirely from ingredients grown locally here in the great state of MN.

I spent last weekend in Ithaca, NY with my Aunt Ruth, Uncle Bruce, cousins Roz and Arthur and Laura, and little, adorable Lucy.  Here's a pic of the waterfall at the end of their road:



It was great to be with family-- there's a real delight in being with people who are your people, who've known you since you were in diapers.  We had a great visit-- ate delicious food, went to a farmer's market, swam in the lake, picnicked outdoors, listened to some great Latin music at an outdoor venue, and even hiked Upper Treeman in the pouring rain.  The only real downer from the weekend was the drive back--I drove the four hour trip from Ithaca to the city in 6.5 hours, through flash floods. 

So I returned, sat down at my piano, and asked myself 'how best to move forward?'  The answer came back loud and clear-- 'Go see Jim.  Now. ' So I get on the internet, and find a really cheap fare to Minneapolis, and flew out Tuesday morning.

It was a good choice.  Fall is in the air here, bright and sunny with a fragrant, cool breeze.  I do three-a-day voice lessons with Jim and in between them go for a walk, or a bike ride, and maybe this afternoon I'll go jump in one of the 10,000 lakes.   The surrounding area provides plenty of beautiful scenery:

2 comments:

  1. thats what i'm talkin' about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes but what happened to your 'going native' post... here i am coughing at my work computer having survived hijacking and a verulant and obnoxious cold only to meet with total denial. (i'm crying into my icewater rightnow. ;)

    ReplyDelete