Friday, July 9, 2010

Marcellina, Part II

So, table read was last night.  When Figaro started the show counting in English instead of Italian, I knew I was home free.  I thought we were going to read the entire show in Italian, which would have made me extremely self-conscious.  Instead, I got to relax and bring the funny.

Marcellina is referred to as an old bat several times in the show, and I'm curious to know how I'm going to play that without the aid of makeup, a fat suit, or a costume that I can hide in.  This will be a minimalist/black box production with no money for any trimmings.  Still, its an opportunity to see what I can bring to life through thoughtful character work.  A challenge.

The cast is fun and friendly, and I think everyone wants to have a good time and get a long.  No divas here, which is great.  And I want to bring a sense of generosity and joy to rehearsal each day.  That is my goal.  I also want to be so well prepared that I can enjoy the process and the people.  So far, so good.

2 comments: