Thursday, May 13, 2010

Third Lady





Here's me in my costume as Third Lady to the Queen of the Night.  I have to tell you that the most fun we have all night is doing our eye makeup.  I and the First Lady and the Second Lady are in the first half hour of the show, and then wait forever for two small scenes in the second act, so we hang out and try to figure out how we can pile more glitter and more curleycues onto our faces.  Stage makeup is fun!  I think we'll make it even crazier for opening night.  

Otherwise this show is, well, let's just say that we've dubbed it the "Waiting for Guffman production of The Magic Flute".  I feel sheepish when family and friends say they are going to come.  I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone I liked.  However, in the tradition of my dear friend Staci, I'm going to practice thankful Thursday regarding this production:

This production has given me:

An opportunity to work on my craft-- I've been in an opera-- woo hoo!

To steady myself under adverse and slightly trying conditions: like when the blocking changes from day to day, not getting any feedback from the director, never being sure who you are going to be singing with and whether or not they know their music.

I am learning how to focus on stage;  there's a certain presentness to all that's going on that you have to have-- singing, music, tempo changes, conductors cues, fellow actors, etc.  Staying in the moment while having your radar up-- it's fun and a challenge.

I have gained confidence:  I'm better than I thought I was, and people come to me for help.  I'm getting compliments on singing, stage presence and acting.  

It has shown me where I make stupid mistakes that can easily be fixed by patient attention and self-control:  surprisingly, I'm the smallest physically of the three ladies.  And boy those other two are loud, especially since they are singing in a range where it is easier to be heard.  To trust that I can be heard, not to push, not to change anything, but stay confident in my technique and sound when everyone else seems to be drowning me out has GOT to be the major challenge of the night.

4 comments: