Monday, May 24, 2010

Parents

My parents rolled into town on Friday to see my do my thing at The Magic Flute and also at the All Angels Coffee House on Saturday night.  It was great to have them here-- they loved my apartment, loved my view, loved my singing, loved my church.   While most of my weekend revolved around singing, my mom sewed curtains for my apartment on Saturday.

Is it bizarre that we are such good friends?  My parents are amazing people in themselves, and they seem to take great delight in the wacky things I do and the way I have been living my life.  They've been some of my biggest cheerleaders and closest confidantes along the way.

I am also impressed with how they continue to live full lives of good things.  My Dad just started visiting the men in the local prisons and has had great fun being 'Vanilla Rice' ala Vanilla Ice--he dresses up in a black turtleneck, a gold chain, and a pair of sunglasses to do raps for the kids at church!  My mom is running between different women's groups, helping elderly people to and from doctor's appointments, and sitting with a woman (one of the teachers at our local high school)  who is terminal with cancer.  They still love to camp, still love to read and discuss books, love to travel, love their grandkids, love life.

It's just one of those things that I didn't realize when I was a kid, or a teenager, or newly starting out after college-- my parents know me in a way that no one else in my life will.  They love me in a way no one else does.  And after working through all of the 'what did you do to me' crap and the 'I need to differentiate myself from you' stage, I get to enjoy knowing the two very unique, mature and wonderful people that are my parents.

1 comment: