Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shnookered

Is that a word?  Did I spell it right?  Well, regardless of the spelling, shnookered is the perfect word for what happened to me on Saturday, when I walked into the  Pastrami Queen:


I had walked by this place several times on my way to or from the subway, and last Saturday, decided I'd pop my head in to see what was what.  A sign greeted me on arrival:  1/2 sandwich and cup of soup, only $15.95.  My jaw hit the floor.  Fifteen bucks for lunch?  You've got to be kidding me?  I turn around to go, but all of a sudden feel three sets of eyes staring at me-- the men behind the counter.  Not wanting to look too cheap and save some face, I say to myself, Oh Joanna, just go up to the counter and see what they've got.  Maybe they have something for, you know, $8 that you could have for lunch.  So I walk up to the counter, have some friendly chit-chat with the guys while scanning the menu on the wall.  Nope.  Nothing.  EVERYTHING was between $15-20 bucks.  I prepare myself to turn tail and go when one of the guys says to me, 'Would you like to try the corned beef, ma'am?  It's very good today.'  Uh, did he say try for free?  Heck, ok.  He proceeds to place four succulent slices of corned beef on a plate for me, still warm from the oven--four pieces of delicious, dripping, savoriness.  

And that's all it took for me to buy a $15 dollar sandwich:




That was half of it.  The other half I took to go.  I swear the thing weighed 10 lbs.   Yummy!

3 comments:

  1. schnockered... ? i think. knock opposed to nook. ?

    and that is how i felt about that arties deli brisket on the westside. which i may have to go to when i'm there so i can see if i was dreaming or if it really was that good. i completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! That is THE BEST restaurant name I have ever heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's all it would have taken for me too! It looks so good! :)
    -c

    ReplyDelete