Friday, February 12, 2010

Opening Ceremonies

I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver while doing laundry and emailing.  Anyone else planning to go to Vancouver as soon as humanely possible after this is over?  I am.  That city is freaking glorious.

Anybody else worried about the aboriginal peoples who have been dancing non-stop during the entire Parade of Nations?  If I were dancing, I would have asked my little sister Jess to dress identically and would have done a hand-off after every five countries.  Jess would have been game.

Anyone else love that half the countries have only one competitor, and that person usually fell in love with a winter sport while at boarding school in the States?  Anyone else cry when the delegation from Georgia came into the stadium sporting black armbands for their fallen comrade?  Anyone else think the U.S.'s hats look uncharacteristically silly?

I confess, I'm so proud of Canada right now.   Our retiring neighbor to the north, I hope they cash in on the medal count.  I mean, I love the U.S. and feel very proud of my country, but I kind of love the Canadians like I love a shy cousin who takes the mike at the family reunion talent show and lights up the stage and nails a song-- give THEM a chance to shine, people!  Heck, the country's entire population is less than that of California.

I'm totally going to follow Mens' hockey.  I've never watched an entire hockey game, but this is my moment to become a fan.  Maybe. Unless I get bored.  In which case I'll just read the papers and watch the final.

I WILL not get sucked into watching figure skating.  I hate those commentators-- they take a perfectly amazing sport and turn it into 'tsk, tsk',  'that's too bad' and 'what a disappointment'. 

Sigh.  I always feel like a kid when the Olympics come around.  There's the whole world, this huge international gathering of goodwill and games and sports and parties.  What an amazing thing to be a resident of this planet.  Feels like what the human race should be, fundamentally, about.

Alright, time to let those aboriginal people take a knee... on with the show.

1 comment:

  1. I also love the Olympics, and find myself in tears at almost every event -- the personal stories of overcoming amazing odds just to be at the games, the athlete who had the lead right until the last second when he was passed by someone else, the fans who brave the cold to cheer on their son/daughter/sister for this one event ever four years! Love it!

    ReplyDelete