Friday, February 5, 2010

Back from D.C.

Yes, I've been in D.C. for the past few days, and just escaped back to New York City this morning.  I say escaped because apparently a 'snowpocalypse' is about to hit our nation's capital.  People are emptying bread aisles and hunkering down.  Here in Manhattan, the air is not balmy, but definitely not cold, and they say we might get 2 or so inches tonight.  That sounds great to me.  A light dusting.

D.C. was fun.  The first thing I notice on arrival was how much space there was and it made me uncomfortable.  The second was how small their metro system was and that made me feel snobbish.  Already a New York snob.  Doesn't take long.

My friend Julie was in D.C. for work, and so I enjoyed a lovely visit with her.  The boltbus got me there for $15, Julie's work paid for a swank place on DuPont Circle.  I enjoyed looking around the usual federal fare, and then practiced in the hotel room every afternoon, hoping that the guests beside and above me were far too busy to be in their rooms at 2 p.m. or that the cleaning crews vacuums drowned me out.  Anyway, highly successful.  I grabbed drinks with Julie and joined her and her friends for dinner.

On the bus ride home, I had the distinct privilege of sitting beside a guy who's dad was an ambassador for Albania during its communist days.  When democracy flooded that country, his family fled to, of all places, Dallas, where they now work in an Italian restaurant.  The guy was an unflagging conversationalist for the FOUR hours of the ride, which taxed my more introverted self.  I confess I actually got out one stop early so I could have a few extra minutes listening to the soothing drones of the subway.

I'm reading a Prayer for Owen Meany, and I'm just curious if anyone out there is a huge fan...huge fan, anyone?  I find it impossible to put down, but Owen Meany is SO uncomfortable.  What's going to happen?  The book is hilarious but at all times reminds you that you're heading for tragedy.

I leave you with my favorite thing, hands-down, from the National Cathedral, which I found to be impressive in scope but lacking in loveliness inside.  There are some fantastic wrought iron gates on the front doors, depicting scenes from the Old Testament, the Gospels, and the early church.  Can you determine what stories are below?



3 comments:

  1. Garden of Gethsemene - the last one?

    Love hearing about your adventures. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -i'm thinking peter and the sea
    -doubting thomas?
    -looks like moses and the burning bush?

    i remember loving a prayer for owen meany but can't remember anything else about it- but that it was really good. i have too many books to read but i think i'll have to return to eventually. glad to hear you escaped the snoclypse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure that they are Peter walking on water, Peter's denial of Christ (see the crow) and Moses. Well done!

    ReplyDelete