Friday, September 17, 2010

Going Native, Part 3

It happened so quickly, I didn't realize the significance of it until an hour later.

I was heading to the gym last night and a thunderstorm was brewing. (Little did I know that a tornado was touching down in Brooklyn at that very moment, but that's someone else's story.  It was just a regular old thunderstorm to me.)  One of the street vendors was folding up his purse stand at the corner of Lex and 85th-- I had walked by a couple of days earlier and noticed a purse that I wanted but didn't have the whatever to actually stop and buy it-- hutzpah?  time?  cash? Who remembers. Anyway, I squeezed under his makeshift plastic awning, grabbed the purse, and quickly start bartering and talked him down by 5  bucks.  Great.

Only later did I realize I had finally purchased the New York City Girl Bag-- that purse that can fit all the regular purse stuff, plus your lunch, three books, a change of shoes, and a potential change of clothes because who is ever home anyway and you can't leave it in  your car--all in a deceptively small looking fashionable bag. 

I'm surprised I lasted this long. I used it last night when I went downtown to hear Over The Rhine (awesome show at a very cool winery) and was able to tote my stilletoes to the show and then throw my hefty clogs in there no problem.  Today I went to my coaching and was able to fit three scores in it!  I'm in love.  I'm off to my church's retreat this weekend and was actually contemplating trying to see if the purse could fit all my toiletries and two changes of clothes, and realized I had gone a bit too far.  Still, a whole new and wonderful world is open to me...it's a new day.

2 comments:

  1. que glorious: (aaaaaaaaaah.) clouds part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh ooh! post a picture of said purse. And for $5? Yes, since moving to SF, I've ditched the heels (mostly) and started buying big purses...

    ReplyDelete