Monday, September 6, 2010

Flushing Love

My brother took me to the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament last night.  I have been looking forward to this for weeks.  My family grew up playing tennis, and although we still hit the ball around on family vacations, none of us really played competitively.  My grandfather Carl, my mom's dad, played tennis until he was in his 80's and my mom swears she has a cousin who played in the U.S. Open way back when.  We'd watch Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, and the Wimbledon Final was the only Sunday that we were allowed to skip church.

So, JR and I trekked out to Flushing, Queens, to this beautiful sports complex to watch John Isner, the American famous for playing the LONGEST match ever a couple of months ago at Wimbledon, take on a Russian named Mikhail Izhney.   Isner lost, but it was fun to see him so soon after watching that crazy match against Mahut. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! Is your brother close by? Or was he out for a particular visit? You look great, by the way. Xoxo andrea

    ReplyDelete